We were invited to an Oktoberfest Party on Sunday night. I wanted to bring something in the Oktoberfest spirit to eat, but couldn’t think of anything other than sauerkraut, sausage, or bratwurst. Naturally I turned to the “google” for help. I found a delicious looking “Apple Kuchen” recipe. Basically it’s a cake with apples on top, but was delicious (and very German)! The crust turned out a bit hard and stuck to the bottom, but I brought home an empty pan, which is always a good sign.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan. Peel, core, and cut each apple into 8 wedges. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cake mix, coconut and margarine until crumbly. Pat mixture lightly into prepared pan, building up the edges slightly to form a crust. Arrange the apple wedges on top.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the apples and the cake mixture. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and sour cream. Drizzle over the top of the cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until the edges of the cake are golden and the apples are tender.